Louis C.K.

With some advice for you…

I think ‘likability’ is an overused word. I don’t watch people ’cause I like them; I watch them because they’re compelling. Sympathetic is a little different. Likable just thins you out. Working to make a character likable is what kills most TV shows.”

That’s comedian Louis C.K. and he’s right. He’s speaking about TV shows, but he could be speaking about Radio; he’d be right then too.

Search his name on YouTube and you’ll see his work.

I know lots of air talent that gets spooked with every complaint, that worries about every email threatening never to listen again.

It’s not that I think you need to go out of your way to be polarizing and obnoxious. I don’t want you to try to alienate as many listeners as you can.

I just don’t want you to worry if your authentic persona isn’t all that ‘likable.’

I want you to worry more about being compelling than likable, because likable is usually forgettable, and in the PPM age, forgettable is death.

Be compelling. Be unpredictable. Challenge me. Make me feel something, strongly. Force me to listen for fear that I will miss something I want to hear and share with friends.

If 90% of the people who listen to radio while you’re on dislike you, but the other 10% love you and find you compelling enough to follow every day, you’re going to rule your market, every day, every month.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin