See for yourself
Great post from Drew McLellan at The Marketing Minute: The Most Brilliant Outdoor Campaign Ever.
If you don’t want to read the post, and see the actual boards, here’s the 5 rules all great outdoor campaigns must follow:
1. Never use more than 7 words.
2. Always use an attention-getting visual.
3. Include your logo (for radio that includes your frequency).
4. Leave the boards up for a minimum of 30 days to achieve necessary frequency.
5. Buy multiple locations to increase reach.
Now, I will tell you that The Most Brilliant Outdoor Campaign Ever broke every one of these rules.
I just think that telling a story makes every campaign better, no matter what the rules, because narratives engage the viewer/listener.